The 4th of July is a fantastic reason to visit your local thrift store. It is also one of the best times of the year for outdoor fun. When you check out the thrift store, you’ll find cheap materials you can turn into the ideal decorations for this summertime holiday. To throw a patriotic celebration, think outside of the box and keep costs in line. At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we’re confident you’ll find everything you need for decorations right here in our store.
Go for the Red, White and Blue Theme Anywhere
Whether you are hosting a backyard barbeque or are planning to decorate your whole home with these patriotic colors, these 4th of July decoration ideas are just what you need to pull it off. Here are some ways you can use what you find in our thrift store to transform your home.
#1: Decorate the Front Porch
The front porch of your home is the perfect place to welcome friends and family this year. Fortunately, it’s super easy to find affordable ways to create a patriotic theme to set the tone. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Get your American flag up and flying high. You may be able to find one for sale in our thrift store or the materials to hang it.
- Use red, white and blue cloth to add a sash to the top of your door. What a fun way to create a patriotic theme that anyone can recognize from the street.
- Place a small table on your front porch and surround it with a couple of rocking chairs. Add a festive colored décor item to the table and perhaps a nice welcome mat that ties into your theme.
The front porch is where you’ll welcome everyone into your home. It should set the tone for any type of event you are planning.
#2: Set up the Backyard for Fun
Suppose you are inviting a group of people over for a patriotic celebration. In that case, it’s easier than you think to create a beautiful outdoor area without having to spend a lot of money. Here are a few ways to set the tone for your space. You can find many of the items you need at our thrift store.
- Use red, white and blue or other themed table clothes to make the biggest first impression. The bright colors are an easy way to make a statement whenever someone steps into the space.
- Set up a punch table with red punch, blue cups and fun items to create some décor. This could be streamers, a few tabletop decorations, or even just a few white napkins to carry on that theme.
- Americans love to play fun and simple games. Make sure to set up some room to help them do that. This may include cornhole, a badminton net, or if you have enough room, the good old American pastime of baseball. You just need a few items to set up any of these activities, and they are sure to keep everyone busy.
- Focus on a theme throughout the area. Use banners and streamers in appropriate colors to decorate the exterior of the home and perhaps the fence or gate. You want everyone to know what your theme is.
- Choose the right items for your serving dishes. Did you know you may be able to find some fun snack plates and serving dishes at Goodwill that offer the patriotic theme? This is an easy way to pull off one of the best looks possible.
- Provide the right color paper plates and cups. You can find lots of red and blue options available. You can even find glass pitchers that have a summertime or patriotic theme to them. It is these small details that will help to make this a memorable experience for everyone.
Choose summertime favorite foods and drinks to help welcome your guests. If you plan to have them stick around for fireworks in the backyard, you’ll also want to consider desserts, including smores. It’s one of the most important American traditions when it comes to outdoor fun, and it’s easy to pull off.
You can find a lot of the materials you need to complete any of these experiences right at Goodwill. The sooner you come in to find out what we have to offer, the better. You may love the fun you have here shopping for new and fun items, too.
#3: Don’t Forget the Indoor Areas
For those hoping to welcome guests into their home for their July 4th celebration, you’ll need to create a space that’s perfectly suited for this event. There are plenty of easy ways to do this, and Goodwill can help make it possible.
For a few easy and even some DIY inspirations, consider these steps to creating a stunning indoor space for the holiday.
- Start with fun decor. Visit our location to find items that are perfectly suited for the patriotic theme. You may find a wide range of old Americana items. These come and go quickly, so you will need to act fast.
- Look for a festive sign for your door or a few items to place on the table that showcases this theme.
- You can always find an American flag t-shirt or other item and turn it into a placemat, framed item, or even cloth napkin for your guests to use. Be creative here.
- Look for items that help to bring the liberty theme out, such as old wooden décor pieces – you can refresh them with a coat of paint to change them into a patriotic display.
- Add a throw blanket or some decorative pillows to your home that are in the right color pattern or otherwise help to celebrate the holiday. It’s fun to find items that have the right color scheme or feel that are perfect for this day.
Pull It All Together
When it comes to decorating for the 4th of July, think simple and think discount. A visit to our Goodwill location is a good place to start to find items that others may no longer need. From fun tablecloths to lots of materials you can turn into an exciting DIY project, you are sure to find easy ways to make this one of the best experiences for you and your guests.
Remember, too, that what is available changes every day. There are always new and fabulous items coming in that could be just right for you. Find an old Colonial-style table to set the tone for your space. You can find rocking chairs or cushions for outdoor chairs that can transform the look of your space. Or, check out the newly donated clothing that can help you to dress the part as you welcome your guests into your home to celebrate this incredible day.
At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we work hard to make decorating and celebrating holidays like this as easy as possible. What’s more, it will not break the bank, and it allows you to help support a good cause. For your next holiday celebration, stop in to see our team and collection of items that may be just what you need.