Did you know about 16-18% of Americans shop at thrift stores every year? That number is comparable to about 21% of Americans who shop in major department stores. Thrift store shoppers can score unbelievable deals on clothing, home goods, books and jewelry. At Goodwill, we receive donations to our stores every day.
The savviest shoppers know that thrift shopping is different than shopping online or at a department store. Here are 5 how-tos to keep in mind the next time you’re heading to Goodwill.
- Shop on Sale Days – At Goodwill, we offer 50% off every other Saturday and other daily specials throughout the week. If there’s a sale going on, you could save even more on your purchase. Double score!
- Have an Open Mind – Be open to putting a little love into your purchase. An item could be as good as new once you sew on a new button or buff out a little scuff mark. Nothing a little elbow grease can’t fix!
- Walk the Whole Store – Just because you came for a new outfit doesn’t mean you should stay in the clothing aisles. You might find something you needed but didn’t think you would find at Goodwill. Ahhh, the thrills of thrifting.
- Visit Often – We put new items out every day. The trick to finding the best scores is to visit the store often and on varying days. Just a quick Goodwill run before you pick up the kids!
- Give Back – Part of shopping at a thrift store is paying it forward. You’re already helping the community with your purchase. Take it a step further by donating some items to Goodwill. Time for a summer closet cleanout!
Our stores are known for their sizable selections, unique goods, fun finds, and of course our low
prices! You never know what you’ll find on a Goodwill run. Practice your savvy thrift shopper skills at a Goodwill location near you. For more special offers and coupons, sign up for our email newsletter.