Thanksgiving is a family holiday that demands a little gravitas. The food, the decorations, the days off from work: it’s nice to celebrate those perks by dressing up for the occasion. After all, if you and your family are going to spend that much time preparing it all, you might as well go the whole nine yards with your outfit too.
Of course, the question of what to wear might stump a few people, particularly if you don’t want to step on any of your fancy Christmas duds. At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we have a few style ideas for the whole family to help you look and feel your best.
Before giving you our recommendations, we start with a few blanket reminders for this very important day of gratitude:
- Think fresh: Wearing something different than your usual attire on Thanksgiving marks this day as different from every other day of the year. Consider going at least a half step up in formality. We promise you can do this and still be comfortable (even after a third helping).
- Keep your pennies close: There’s no need to splash out on a brand-new outfit this year. You can look just as impressive without giving your credit card a workout.
- Honor autumn: Arizona might not be known for its leaves like New England is, but the reds, oranges, and yellows are equally at home here as they are there.
If you’re getting to see loved ones that you typically don’t visit outside of the holiday season, a new outfit isn’t going to make or break the reunion. What it can do, though, is heighten the anticipation for a day filled with laughter, hugs, and warmth.
Style Tips for Men
Men have any number of options when it comes to how they dress this year. White jeans, all-black, fall scarves, funky sneakers (with no socks), and tailored suits are all on the table if you’re looking to pull off that extra bit of flair. If you want to keep it simple, plaid Thanksgiving shirts, puffy vests, and waterproof boots are all ways to be cozy and festive at the same time.
If you’re traveling this year, opt for lightweight layers, so it’s easier to adjust to the various temperatures you’ll likely encounter at the homes of family and friends this year. Straight-leg jeans and a slim jacket with a solid-colored tee underneath can be a home-run hit without making it look like you put in any effort at all. Or pair black denim with a light-colored sweater and some shades. If you can’t think of anything else, at least throw on a sports coat or blazer as a nod to the holiday.
Style Tips for Women
Putting away the sandals and pulling out the boots is usually enough to make any woman excited about the change in seasons. This is the chance to switch to new styles and give your whole look a refresh. Tall boots, chunky sweaters, tights: this is a year to celebrate fall in all its glory.
Here are a few pieces that can help tie your Thanksgiving outfit together:
- Cardigans: Don’t be afraid to wear light colors after Labor Day. A white or cream colored cardigan paired with a tank top and fashionable belt can go a long way to give your outfit a little chic.
- Midi-dress: Putting away the pastels for a darker print on Thanksgiving can spice up your dinner and give people a reason to look twice. Look for graphics that are fun enough to spark a little conversation but not so distracting that they will pull away from the colors of the cornucopia.
- Long-sleeve bodysuit: Putting this sleek and sophisticated outfit on along with a pair of jeans, a long coat, and your favorite pair of fall booties has the power to make you feel like a whole different person. Fresh and fun, it’s a clever way to make use of several of your fashion finds.
- LBDs: Little black dresses are always in style, no matter the occasion. Plus, they’re easy to find and even easier to dress up or down. Everything from costume jewelry to diamonds will work with this classic. (Not to mention jackets, shoes, sweaters, etc.)
- Wrap dress: Wrap dresses this fall are very in and look very at-home if you’re going to a holiday party. At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we can’t get enough of these fashion statements. Sienna, aubergine, or a deep red this holiday season will have you turning heads.
- Tie-front shirt: The texture and panache of a tie-front shirt with slacks is a way to give your outfit more dimension.
- Gold jewelry: When the days start getting darker, it makes that flash of gold in the light a little more noticeable (and welcome). Necklaces, earrings and bracelets can all get the party started.
- Plaid miniskirts: High-waisted plaid and a simple black or white t-shirt is a killer combination. It’s understated enough that it will look like you just threw it together at the last-minute, and it’s anything but boring. Plus, it can look particularly good if you have a longer cardigan that covers the back.
As always, women have a lot of directions they can go based on where they’re headed and what kind of impression they want to make. These stylish items can give you a foundation for your outfit and make it easier to mix and match the rest of your closet for those oh-so-important final touches.
Style Tips for Kids
There are few things cuter than seeing children in plaid button-down shirts and khakis or a tutu dress in green with patent leather shoes. However, there’s nothing wrong with looking for t-shirts and sweaters that feature turkeys or other autumn-related graphics.
If this is the first Thanksgiving outfit, this is the chance to imprint the importance of this holiday by making everything a little special. One tip: let your kids have some say over what they wear. If they have a choice in the matter, they might complain a little less as the day wears on. So as tempting as it may be the whole family match, it just may not be in the cards.
Stop by a Thrift Store
Thrift stores aren’t just a way to protect your savings, they’re a chance to find fashions that you just can’t buy at the regular stores. So many current trends were around years ago, and all you have to do to cash in on the ever-evolving circle is to drop in with an open mind and a little creativity. Whether it’s nothing more than an accessory (like a hat or a pair of flats) or a full head-to-toe outfit, this is a place to explore your style without the same price tag as a traditional shopping trip.
You can find any number of our recommendations to improve your current wardrobe at Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona. No matter who you’re shopping for, we offer endless options to get the whole family outfitted in new (to you) clothes. If Thanksgiving calls for a mini-makeover on your everyday look, imagine all the possibilities when you stop by.