Staying cool and entertained in the summer is tough with kids. You might find yourself running out of activity ideas or creative ways to have fun indoors without breaking the bank. We compiled a list of some of our favorite indoor activities for kids that require a little creativity and a quick Goodwill run.
Using household supplies to dream up a pretend kitchen or enlisting your kids to help your organize with baskets and bins, there are endless entertainment opportunities when you shop at Goodwill. Plus, you never know what toy, game, or children’s activity you might find.
Check out the list below for some indoor activities for kids. Need to get out of the house? We have some ideas for activities around Phoenix, too. Just be prepared to spend a little more.
Get creative with these indoor activities. Find supplies around your home or head to Goodwill to stock up on inexpensive games, household items, clothing, and more.
- Let the kids play dress up with your clothes or buy some inexpensive costumes for a fun fashion show
- Stock up on board games and have a family game night… or morning!
- Spend a quiet afternoon working on a kid-friendly puzzle
- Using containers and other kitchen supplies, set up a pretend kitchen or grocery store that you can “shop” at
- Have the little kids help you organize and sort using baskets and bins
- Set up an indoor obstacle course
- Pitch an indoor tent using linens and furniture for a bug-free camp out
- Decorate old picture frames with buttons, seashells, and other crafty things
Kitchen supplies, linens, games, costumes, and frames—you’ll find it all at Goodwill for a fraction of the price. Use your shopping trip for a bonus activity! Make a list and let the kids pick out what they want to use for their activity. Give them a budget and see if they can stick to it.
In between the puzzles and indoor camping, you might find your little ones getting a little antsy for some action outside of the house. Check out a local pottery painting class or head to your local library for some air-conditioned entertainment. Phoenix is also known for its many museums and entertainment destinations, like Arizona Science Center, LEGOLAND Discovery Center, and Sea Life Aquarium.