Decorating a home on a budget is not always easy. Finding things you love, while not overspending can seem like an impossible task. With a little bit of effort, you can turn gently used items into beautiful home decor pieces. If you’re looking for affordable home improvement ideas, shopping at a thrift store is sure to spark some creative ways you can improve the look and feel of your home.
- Reupholster a couch: Rather than purchasing a brand new couch, try and find one that has a good structure to it. If you like the size and shape of a gently used couch, you can always reupholster it with new fabric and padding. It will look and feel like new.
- Lamps for lighting: When you have to hire an electrician to install lighting, it can get expensive and time-consuming. Lamps that plug into an outlet are an easy way to light up a room without spending tons of money. Floor lamps are a great option for a living space, while table lamps are ideal for a bedside table.
- Upcycled artwork: Canvas and art supplies can add up. Brand new artwork can be pricey. Old artwork can provide a great canvas to create something new. Find a shape that you like and simply paint over. Or buy a cheap frame and add your own artwork inside.
- Multipurpose pieces: Furniture that serves multiple purposes is an affordable way to decorate your home. For example, a coffee table or footstool can also serve as extra seating. A sideboard that can display the T.V. and also store miscellaneous items is also a plus.
- Thrift store curtains: If you’ve ever shopped for new curtains, you’ve probably been surprised to find how expensive they are. New curtains can end up costing hundreds of dollars. Gently used curtains are a great option because you can wash and press them so they’re as good as new. Plus, you’ll probably find some great designer brands.
- Used Tools & Supplies: Thrift stores are a great place to look for things like vacuums, lawnmowers, tools, and other equipment you might need to upkeep your home. Just make sure you find an outlet and check to make sure it still has life left before you purchase.
Why shop at Goodwill?
Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona stores are known for their sizable selections, unique goods, fun finds, and of course our low prices! You never know what you’ll find at a Goodwill location near you.
For more special offers and coupons, sign up for our email newsletter.