Summer has arrived, which means now is the perfect time to go shopping for great secondhand summer finds. If you are new to thrifting, you will want to learn how to get the most value out of your thrift haul.
At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we believe that thrifting is the best way to stretch your budget and score awesome goods. Our guide will tell you everything you need to know about summer thrifting.
Summer Thrifting for Beginners: Tips and Tricks to Get You Started
Sometimes, the idea of heading into a thrift store is intimidating, especially if you are new to thrifting. Fortunately, it’s very easy to get started, and once you start, you will quickly get hooked.
These tips for beginners are helpful:
- Typically, a thrift store will replenish their shelves and clothing racks on specific days of the week. Time your trips accordingly, so that you have access to the most recent products that have been added to the inventory.
- Shop at the end of the season for some of the most unique finds. Many people have just finished cleaning out their closets in preparation for the new season. You’d be surprised at how many items get donated to us with the original tags still attached. This may include light jackets, athletic shoes, sunglasses, hats, and sports equipment. Know that when you shop at a thrift store, you’re getting a better deal than you would by buying the item firsthand at a traditional retail store.
- At Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, we offer 50% off select color tags daily. So, when you walk in, be sure to ask what the color of the day is and start searching high and low for items with that particular colored tag for an extra discount.
Summer Outfit Ideas: What to Look for at the Thrift Store
As you start hunting for the best items for your summer wardrobe at the thrift store, you will want to keep in mind this season’s latest trends. Here are a few items that you may want to keep an eye out for while summer thrifting at the thrift store:
- Sundresses — There is no such thing as too many sundresses, but adding to your collection can quickly become expensive if you keep paying full-price at name-brand outlets. At thrift stores, you will find a lot of different sundress styles that are perfect for any occasion, including brunch with your friends, church on the weekends, or a day at the beach with that special someone.
- Summer Accessories — Accessorizing is the key to your summer wardrobe. At thrift stores, you will be able to find all of the best summer accessories for a fraction of the cost. You might discover large, floppy sun hats, stylish sunglasses, and gorgeous wedge sandals. When you find these items at the right price, you can match the perfect accessories with every outfit that you have.
- Shorts and Skirts — Shorts and skirts are a summer staple, but sometimes you need several of each in order to build a complete wardrobe. With colored and patterned shorts being all the rage this year, you will want to start hunting at the thrift stores so you can have as many as you want without breaking the bank.
- Holiday Apparel — Everyone likes to look festive on patriotic holidays, like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. However, no one wants to pay full price for an outfit that they might wear one day out of the year. If you start your search after the holidays, you will be able to find all of the red, white, and blue gear you need for next summer and beyond.
The Top Benefits of Thrifting
There are many benefits of thrifting that you should consider. Here are just a few to keep in mind:
- Thrifting helps you save money and a lot of it. For most consumers, the best reason to start thrifting is that it allows them to buy high-quality goods for the best possible price. When you start thrifting, you will quickly find that most of the items for sale are in good condition and many reflect the most recent trends. In addition, there is a lot of potential to discover vintage goods and antique items that may even be worth more than you paid for them.
- Thrifting is the most sustainable way to shop. Instead of contributing to the consumer culture that promotes wasting perfectly good materials, you are purchasing used goods that were donated to a charitable cause. Thrifting proves that you are committed to doing your part to protect the environment.
- Purchasing items at a thrift store ensures that your disposable income is put toward a good cause. Most thrift stores operate their storefronts as a way to provide income for their charitable endeavors. Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona, for example, helps people in the region find employment.
Thrifting Safely: How to Discover the Best Items in a Responsible Way
Thrifting this summer may look a little bit different than during the past several years. These are a few tips that you can use to safely shop at thrift stores right now:
- Wear a face covering to the store. If you are planning to shop in person, it may be a good idea to wear a cloth face mask or face covering. This helps you protect yourself and others while you are shopping.
- Minimize the number of trips you take to the store. Try to time your trips for when the thrift store has restocked their shelves with the most recent donations received. You may want to get to the store when it opens, as this may be a less crowded time to shop.
- While you are shopping, maintain a safe social distance of 6 feet from other shoppers. Adhere to all social distancing guidelines in the store, such as markers indicating the traffic patterns for the aisle or markers showing where you need to wait in the checkout line.
- If possible, head out alone for your thrifting adventure. Many thrift stores may be under capacity restrictions, and it is better not to shop in large groups at this time.
- After you leave the store, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- When you bring your thrift haul home, wash and disinfect items as necessary to make sure they are clean before you use them.
Those who are looking to save money while looking great this summer will love the experience of thrifting. The best part about going to a thrift store is that you never know what you will find. It’s a bit like treasure hunting, and you know that in the end, you have found a responsible way to enjoy something new to you.
For more information about the benefits of thrifting and to find out more about our Arizona thrift stores, contact us today.