You did it, you landed an interview! You’ve prepared, done all the research on the company, did a few mock interviews, and have a sharp looking outfit. You are nailing all the questions and have a feeling that the interview is going great, but then comes that final question of the interview, “do you have any questions for us?”
This is where everything can fall apart. One of the worst things you can say is “no, you’ve answered everything” or “I’m sure I have a ton of questions, but I just can’t think of any right now.” All that hard work you did before the interview could be all for nothing. Being prepared to ask questions is just as critical as being ready to answer all the questions the interviewer has for you. It’s a chance for you to demonstrate that you care about this role and that you really did your research. After all, showing you have gone above and beyond is ultimately the goal of an interview right? Here are a few questions that you could ask during your next interview!
1. What are the biggest challenges facing the company/department right now?
2. What do you think are the most important qualities for someone to excel in this role?
3. What are your expectations for this role during the first 90 days, six months, and one year?
4. Who do you consider your top competitors, and why?
5. How do I compare with the other candidates you’ve interviewed for this role?
6. What do you like best about working for this company?
7. Can you tell me more about the day-to-day responsibilities for this job?
8. Where do you see this company in five years?
9. What is the typical career path for someone in this role?
10. When do you expect to make a decision?
A few tips when coming up with your questions. Avoid yes or no questions. Focus on open-ended questions so they can flow into a conversation. Don’t make your questions too broad that it will end up stumping the interviewer. And lastly make sure you tailor each question specifically to the job and company, avoid being too generic. We recommend that you prepare at least two questions that will demonstrate your interest in the company and the position. Remember an interview is a two-way street. Just like they are looking for the right candidate you are looking for your dream job.
Stop in our Goodwill no-cost Career Centers across Arizona, where our career advisors can help you come up with the best questions to ask. Best of luck on your future job search, we hope you find your dream job!